Patriot
New Jersey Line
American Revolutionary War

Daniel Trowbridge
Born: Dec. 28, 1737, Morris Township, (Trowbridge Mountain), Morris Co., New Jersey
Died: 1793, Morristown or Mendham (now Randolph), Morris Co., New Jersey
Parents: David Trowbridge & Lydia Holmes
Military Service: private, New Jersey Line, Continental Army, American Revolutionary War
Religious Affiliation: First Baptist Church, Morristown, Morris Co., New Jersey
Marriage: Oct. 4, 1764, First Presbyterian Church, Morristown, Morris Co., New Jersey
Wife: Sarah Hathaway Ludlum or Ludlow
Born: 1744, Morristown, Morris Co., New Jersey
Died: Oct. 27, 1786, Morristown, Morris Co., New Jersey
Cause of Death: asthma (according to the Bills of Mortality for the
Morristown Presbyterian & Baptist Churches)
Religious Affiliation: First Baptist Church, Morristown, Morris Co., New Jersey

Children:

Benjamin Trowbridge

Born: 1765, Mendham (now part of Randolph), Morris Co., New Jersey, Morris Co., New Jersey
Died: May 30, 1777, Morris Plains, Morris Co., New Jersey
Cause of Death: dysentery (according to the Bills of Mortality
for the Morristown Presbyterian  & Baptist Churches)

David Trowbridge

unnamed child Trowbridge

Born: May, 1772, Mendham (now Randolph), Morris Co., New Jersey, Morris Co., New Jersey
Died: May, 1772, Morristown, Morris Co., New Jersey
 
Lydia Trowbridge
Born: Aug. 30, 1773, Mendham (now Randolph), Morris Co., New Jersey
Died: Jan. 28, 1800, Morristown, Morris Co., New Jersey
Cause of Death: dysentery (according to the Combined Registers
of Bills of Mortality for the 1st Presbyterian and 1st
Baptist Churches of Morristown)

Samuel Trowbridge

Abner Trowbridge

Mary Polly Trowbridge




DANIEL TROWBRIDGE


 "THE TROWBRIDGE GENEALOGY, HISTORY OF THE TROWBRIDGE FAMILY IN AMERICA", Pgs. 146-147
Compiled by Francis Bacon Trowbridge, (New Haven, CT: Tuttle, Morehouse & Taylor, 1906) 

186.  DANIEL TROWBRIDGE (David 114, Joseph 106, William 100, Thomas 1),
Born December 28, 1737, in Morristown, N.J.; died _______, 179—in Morristown; married October 4, 1764, in Morristown, Sarah Ludlum, daughter of Samuel and Abigail (Hathaway) Ludlum, born ______, 1744, in Morristown; died October 27, 1786, in Morristown.

 Daniel Trowbridge appears to have lived all his life near Morristown, N. J.  He was a farmer. He and his wife were members of the Baptist church in  Morristown.

CHILDREN BORN IN MORRISTOWN, N.J.:

i. BENJAMIN, b.———, 1765; d. May 30, 1777.
195. ii. DAVID, b. Jan. 26, 1768.
iii A child, b. ————, 177-: d. May —, 1772.
iv. LYDIA, b.————, 1773; d. Jan. 28, 1800; unm.
196. v. SAMUEL, b. ————, 1776.
197. vi. ABNER, b. ————, 1779.
vii. MARY, b. July 18, 1782; in. Oct. 11, 1800, Joseph Denman of Mendham. N. J.

 

DANIEL TROWBRIDGE'S ASSETS AS LISTED IN THE  MORRIS TOWNSHIP, N.J. LIST OF ASSESSED TAX RATABLES, OCTOBER, 1768

Name: Dan Trobridge

Value of Land: 0
Acres of Land:0
Horses and Cattle: 2

Sheep: 5
Pound Value: s-3 d-5
Poor Tax: s-1 d-1
County Tax 1
Sinking Fund Tax: s-4 d-0

 

     

Photo taken by Angela Dethloff.

TROWBRIDGE DR., RANDOLPH, NJ

Trowbridge Drive in Randolph Township, Morris County, New Jersey at the top of Trowbridge Mountain, just off of West Hanover Ave.  Since many roads in this area were named after the owners of the farms they went through, it is probable that this was the location of Dan Trowbridge's farm because it is close enough to the site of the farm of Dan's parents, David & Lydia (about a quarter mile), but just over the Randolph border. Dan was listed as living in Mendham, but in 1804, twelve years after his death, this area split off from Mendham and became Randolph Township .  Randolph was named for one of the town's important residents, Hartshorn Fitz-Randolph, who owned a farm in what later became my home town, Mine Hill.


History of Randolph

From the Randolph Township web site,
Compiled from various sources, including text prepared by David Mitros, 
 Morris County Heritage Commission and the Historical Society of Old Randolph:

The town was inhabited by the Lenni Lenape Indians, settled by Quakers, and served as a supply point for Washington’s army during its winter in nearby Jockey Hollow. Many of the descendants of our original settlers still live here on roads that bear their family names. The township’s historical landmarks include the Liberty Tree that began growing in 1720, the 1869 Bryant Distillery (famed for its apple jack!), and the 1924 Millbrook School, now rehabilitated and in use as offices. One of our oldest streets, Gristmill Road (a must see in spring when the apple trees bloom), is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Many of Randolph’s early settlers were Quakers. Several were farmers who grew grain, flax, and hemp, and raised cattle and sheep. Some mined iron ore or operated forges. By the mid-1700s, a significant Presbyterian population had also settled here. The pacifist Quakers and the patriot Presbyterians coexisted uneasily during the Revolution. The Quakers felt persecuted, since New Jersey law required those refusing military service to pay a fine of fifty shillings a month or risk confiscation of their property.

In 1713, New Jersey’s first iron mine was registered and it was located in Randolph. The iron mines in the township supplied the Revolutionary forces with necessary ore for tools and weapons. The iron industry, which continued to thrive for the next 200 years, played an important part in the development of Randolph. Situated upstream of the Black River, the South branch of the Raritan River, the Whippany River, and the Rockaway River, the iron hills of Randolph attracted settlers and its streams provided power for industry.

Before the Revolution, water-powered industries were operating in Combs Hollow and in the Quaker community of Millbrook, also known as Mott Hollow. By the early 1800s, small industries along the Mill Brook were processing textiles and manufacturing hats, rope and barrels. Mott Hollow’s oil mill, which produced linseed oil from flax, was one of only two in Morris County in 1821.

Once part of Mendham, a separate Randolph Township was incorporated on November 13, 1805. At that time, it included the areas that are now Dover, Wharton, Mine Hill and Victory Gardens. Taking its name from Hartshorne Fitz-Randolph, a Quaker who was one of the first settlers and largest landowners, the township adopted the Fitz-Randolph family’s coat-of-arms as its official insignia in 1972.

Following the Civil War, local industries declined, as less expensive products from larger urban manufacturers became readily available. Despite a brief boom in iron mining around Ironia in the 1870s, Randolph reverted to a largely agricultural economy. Inexpensive land attracted newcomers. Jewish families, disillusioned with urban life, came here from New York City around 1900. They established farms and a vital community that exists today. At this time, Randolph also started becoming a popular resort community. Two of its largest resorts, Ackerman’s Hotel and Saltz’s Hotel, survived into the 1970s.

Randolph saw little growth and some decline in population during the early 20th century. In the 1940s, the population began rising sharply, a trend that continued for fifty years. Route 10, which became a state highway through Randolph in 1931, contributed to the influx, especially when it was widened later in the century. Despite this, substantial tracts of undeveloped land remained, including the hills and fields that became the campus of County College of Morris in 1968.

Though Randolph’s landscape continued to change, especially during the 1990s when much development occurred, it still has many acres of open space and parkland. Throughout the municipality, old farmhouses, mills and other historic structures remind of us Randolph’s heritage as an agricultural and rural industrial community.

 
Home